Welcome to week 2 of Lent: a season of empty to full.
This week our focus is examen and self-denial—two of our favorite subjects! I know there’s nothing we like better than taking a deep look at ourselves (warts and all) and saying no to our flesh. While these spiritual disciplines may be uncomfortable, they will bring a harvest of good if we allow God to do His necessary work.
Below are the five traditional steps for the discipline of Examen:
- Gratitude: Recall the blessings of the day and thank God.
- Review: Recall the events of the day and notice where you felt God’s presence and where you resisted opportunities to grow in love.
- Sorrow: Recall anything for which you are sorry.
- Forgiveness: Ask for God’s forgiveness and/or healing if needed.
- Grace: Ask God for the grace you need for the next day or for your life in general.
In the Sway, we will provide the information you need to go through the process of examen.
Let’s also stretch our definition of denial beyond the traditional Lenten ideas of sugar and sweets. Consider denying yourself the right to get angry or to get even. What about denying yourself the right to be bitter or unforgiving?
Get ready for the Spirit to dig in to your life while you dig into the many resources included in this week’s Sway. Remember to pray for each other and post your comments on our Facebook page and in the comment section below.
From empty to full.
Have a blessed Lent.
all rights reserved.