18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:19-20
One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go!
My sisters and I used to say this childhood chant while preparing to launch ourselves off the swings in our back yard. Part of the fun was timing the rhythm so the word go was uttered at the exact moment the swing was at it’s highest forward motion. Of course we had to emphasize the word go with a shout! At this moment, we let go of the swing and flew through the air, plummeting towards the earth. A free-fall. A letting go. Untethered. It took courage to let go and, well … go!
Jesus tells us to go.
We are to go and take the Gospel to all nations.
Go … spel.
Take the Gospel.
The word go seems to be very straight forward.
Move. Progress. In the Greek it means a little more than just moving. Go means “to lead over, to carry over, to transfer over.” What are we moving, leading and transferring? People. Priceless souls whom God loves. We help lead them from death to life. We help transfer them from curses to blessing. We help carry them over from darkness to light. All this going is made possible by the blood of Christ. The Gospel.
Go also means “to continue one’s journey.” Matthew 28:19-20 is everyone’s calling. We were born for Matthew 28:19-20. It is our mission, our calling, our purpose. Matthew 28:19-20 is yours. It’s mine. It’s ours.
Does anyone know where we are going?
Exactly where are we to go? The verse above tells us to take the Gospel to all nations
These days all nations are closer than you think. All nations may be the house next door or the apartments on the other side of town. All nations can refer to the people across the sea or the people across the street.
- Go and take the gospel to work today. Those people who bug you and annoy you … Jesus died for them.
- Go and take the gospel to your family today. Those people who bug you and annoy you … Jesus died for them.
- Go and take the gospel to the gym. Those strong people are weak without Jesus.
- Go and take the gospel while you’re running errands. Those tired people in customer service don’t need your wrath, they need God’s grace. Give it to them.
Go shopping. Go running. Go out to lunch. Go next door. Go to church. Go to the PTA. Go to the meeting. Go to the hospital. And in all your going … take the go-spel.
- Think about where you are going today. Who will you run into that needs to hear the Gospel?
- Pray and ask God to bring someone to you who you can show the love of Jesus to today.
- Prepare a two minute talk about why you decided to follow Jesus. Ask God to give you opportunities to share His message.
Please leave a comment below about how you plan to go and make disciples today!
Life is sweet. Go!
All rights reserved