For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Galatians 5: 13
to act as a servant
to render assistance; be of use; help
to have definite use
- to render active service to
- to perform the duties of (a position, an office, etc.)
Independence Day is the celebration of the birth of the United States of America. It marks the day our founding fathers declared the colonies to be a free and independent nation apart from the rule of England. Freed from service to England, the colonists could enjoy “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
As Americans, the freedoms bestowed upon us by our Constitution allow the opportunity to live and work as we choose. Freedom is what makes our country great. God has also given us freedom, but according to our verse, we haven’t been freed to live for ourselves. We have been freed from the tyranny of sin and self to serve God and others. Please read the verse above again and notice the connection between liberty and serve. What is the basis for the giving of self through service? Love.
In the Greek, serve means: to be a slave (a very unpopular term for Americans), to serve, to do service, to zealously advance the interests of anything; devoted to another to the disregard of one’s own interests.
As Christians, we need to devote ourselves to serve God and others, and to the advancement of His kingdom on earth. How can I serve my family? How can I help my neighbors? How can I use my gifts to share the Gospel? How can I give to the hungry? By asking these questions, and praying for God to bring us opportunities, we can live a life of service.
- Take a walk through your neighborhood or town and ask God to open your eyes to the needs of others.
- Today, identify and act on a way to serve a family member, a coworker and a neighbor.
- Ask God to show what selfish attitudes or habits you need to be freed from so you can serve others.
- Please take several moments to pray for our service men and women who serve their country and put themselves in harm’s way that we may be free.
God Bless America.
“serve.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 02 Jul. 2015. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serve>.
I have been convicted that I am a very selfish person. I do not go through my day looking for those I can serve. I barely even know my neighbors. Lord, I need your help to see and serve others.