For many of us, September means we bid good-bye to the lazier days of summer as we usher in the busy season of school and holidays and the changing of the seasons . While I’m sure you’re never at a loss for things to pray about, here’s a prayer list (including a free printable ) to guide your prayers this month!
1. Schools – When you think of how many hours a year children spend in school, (in my state of Indiana it’s about 1,260 hours per year), we can’t underestimate the importance of that influence on our kid’s minds, emotions, and spirits. Let’s remember the school administration, teachers, and of course the students in our prayers.
Verse: 1 Timothy 4:12 “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.”
Prayer: Lord, we pray that our children will never do anything that causes anyone to despise them. We pray they will be quick to confess and repent of sin. May they set an example for others by how they talk and act. Give them a love for and kindness toward people, especially those who are being ridiculed. Grow their faith over the years and may they be an encouragement to other children and adults. Keep them pure in a culture that encourages casual relationships and sex. We pray that their schools will be safe places and their teachers will be honest, wise, godly role models. Amen.
Free printable! Please download this one-page printable I’ve made with specific ways to pray for our schools. Praying for Schools
2. Patriot Day (9-11) – Patriot Day is the day set aside to remember the terrorist attacks on our country on September 11, 2001. With the rise of terrorism around the world, I can’t think of a better time to pray for God to derail the plans of the enemy and protect all nations against terrorist attacks.
Every year on Patriot Day, a moment of silence is held at 8:46 a.m. EST across the nation at the exact time the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
Verse: Psalm 59: 1 “Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; Defend me from those who rise up against me. Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, And save me from bloodthirsty men.”
Prayer: Lord, we pray a hedge of protection around our nations asking that you would keep us from the evil plotted against us by our enemies. Confuse their plans, expose their plots, and deflate the power of the enemy. We ask for their repentance. We pray for the families who lost loved ones on 9-11. Continue to heal them. And continue to restore those who were wounded. May you bring much good out of the evil that was intended. Amen.
3. Addictions – September is the National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month. We probably all know someone whose life has been marred by drugs. Let’s pray that our families will not have to suffer through this scourge. We can also pray against those who profit from the drug industry and protection for those who fight against it.
Verse: Psalm 107:20 “He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.”
Prayer: Lord, we pray for those who are gripped by drugs or alcohol. We ask that they would hear Your words of healing and that you would free them from this bondage. We ask for true repentance and that you would restore the years the locusts have eaten. Please disrupt those who are in the business of making, buying, and selling illegal substances. Give wisdom and protection to those who are fighting to end this problem. Amen.
4. Workforce – September 1 is Labor Day. We all look forward to having that extra day off of work to relax or go on a fun adventure! Let’s remember to pray this month for the workplace.
Verse: Deuteronomy 30:9-10 “Then the Lord your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands and in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your land. The Lord will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your ancestors, if you obey the Lord your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of the Law and turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.”
Prayer: Lord, we pray you would bless our work. May we do it to the best of our ability. May we focus and work diligently, being honest in our words and actions. Help us to bless those around us and give us the courage to talk about You. May the owners/bosses be honest, kind, and wise. We pray for peace and harmony and protection from workplace violence. Give us patience with each other. Amen.
5. Day of Peace – The United Nations has declared September 21 as the International Day of Peace. On this day they urge all hostilities to stop worldwide. Let’s pray for peace starting in our own homes and then broadening our prayers to include the world.
Verse: Hebrews 12:14-15 “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.”
Prayer: Jesus, we ask that a spirit of peace and holiness would descend over our homes. May we extend grace to those when it is needed, yet practice tough love when as you lead. We pray that we can take this peace of Jesus that passes all understanding and extend it outside of our homes into our communities, states, and countries. We ask for fighting and wars to cease. We pray for your Holy Spirit to hover over each nation. Amen.
Thanks for praying with us. Please add any of your own prayers in the comments below.
Leave a Reply