How To Make an Herbal Infused Oil
If you’ve always wanted to buy an herbal oil, but didn’t like the prices at the store, why not try infusing your own? It’s a simple process, and you’ll probably save some money too. In this video, I show you how to make a calendula solar infusion of olive oil (or another oil of your choice).
While making a solar infusion is not a fast process, there is something satisfying about creating herbal oils for wellness and culinary usage for family and friends.
Cautions: Do not use calendula during pregnancy or breastfeeding (safety has not been established for use during these times) or when taking sedative-type medications as it could cause excess drowsiness.
Be sure to watch the video below, and here’s a simple recipe to print also.
- Glass canning jar and lid (whatever size you want)
- Calendula dried herbs (enough to fill ¾ of the jar
- Olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- Start with a clean, sanitized jar (I run mine through the dishwasher.)
- Fill the jar ¾ full with dried herbs.
- Pour oil to completely cover the herbs and about ½-1 inch over the top.
- Turn upside down to completely mix and return to right-side up.
- Let sit in a warm, sunny place for 3-4 weeks.
- Strain out the herbs with cheesecloth or muslim.
- Bottle the oil.
- Label with name and date on the jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
**It is very important that your herbs, the jar, and the lid are completely dry. Moisture introduces the possibility of mold growth.