To Do-ers List: Word in Me
16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”
I love to eat. I am an organic, farm-to-fork foodie kind of girl. Three meals a day, with snacks in between and don’t forget about dessert! Our sense of taste is a gift from God, given to us for our enjoyment. Sweet, sour, bitter, and salty flavorings spice up the eating experiences. Eating is necessary to maintain life, but there is something more important to life than consuming food; consuming the Word of God.
I need His Word in me.
Jesus said, “Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Every Word. I need every Word for life.
Today’s verse instructs us to let the Word of Christ dwell in us richly. The Greek word for richly is plousis, which means abundantly, wealthy, plentiful, and full. When we are filled to overflowing with God’s Word, it will splash on those around us, soaking them with God’s Holy Word. Dry and thirsty souls doused in Living Water. God’s Word in me benefits everyone.
Benefits of God’s Word in Me
What does scripture do for us? Read the partial list of benefits below. God’s Word …
- Defeats our enemies. Ephesians 6:17
- Transforms us into the image of Christ. Romans 12:2
- Makes us strong. Joel 2:11
- Heals us. Psalm 107:20
- Imparts peace. Psalm 119:165
- Guides us. Psalm 119:105
- Makes us wise. Psalm 19:7
Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly …
It is important to note the word dwell. God’s Word needs to dwell in us, not touch upon, visit, or set up temporary residence. The word for dwell refers to a marriage relationship. A life-long, do or die, for better for worse, for richer or richer, till death do we join Him for all eternity. I need God’s Word in me everyday and beyond.
How can I get God’s Word in me?
Here are a few ideas.
- Write verses on note cards and carry them with you everywhere you go today. Look at them at stoplights (instead of checking your phone), waiting in lines, while you’re doing chores, etc.
- Subscribe and download a podcast to your device and listen while you’re jogging, doing chores, or walking to class today.
- Download an audible version of the Bible to your favorite device. Listen tonight while going to sleep.
- Set a goal to memorize a BOOK, yes, a BOOK of the Bible.
- Tune in to hear your favorite speakers on Christian TV.
- Turn off your TV today and spend a little extra time reading your Bible or doing a Bible study.
- Look up your favorite verse at Blue Letter Bible and research key words in the original Greek or Hebrew. Follow the link for a quick tutorial: Blue Letter Bible
Make your plan for how you will add more of God’s Word to your day. Make your verse cards, download a podcast, or get a new Bible study. Block out your time and do it! Ask God to bless you for the time you will spend in His Word. Pray and ask Him to open your heart to the wisdom hidden within His Word.
Use the To-Doers List Study Guide or a journaling app to plan and journal your day.
If you missed a session, catch up here!
Don’t forget to leave a comment in the comment section below!
God’s Word in me. God’s Word in you. Let it dwell in us richly.
All rights reserved.