To Do-ers List: Back to School Day 2: The Book
I love the digital age. Cell phones, iPods, laptops, e-readers. Technology – I am all about it. Technology not only changes businesses and industries, it also impacts the education system. Now, back in the day, when I went to college, we stood in line for HOURS to register for classes and buy our books. Today, it’s done by a few clicks of a mouse. Instead of juggling huge stacks of hardcover books, thanks to technology, many students tote a lightweight iPad, pre-loaded with textbooks. Text books are important, but we need to study The Book.
Students of the Book
“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”
As students of the Word, there is only one book in which we need concern ourselves, the Book of the Law, otherwise known as the Bible. As students of the Book, we have two assignments: 1) constantly speak the Book (God’s Word), and 2) constantly think the Book.
Speak the Book
“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth.” A more literal translation of this phrase is “this book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth.” In others words,
Let’s take a test. And yes, it’s open Book.
Our Words about Others:
- Are the words you speak about others found in the Book? Are they true? Are they beneficial to the hearers? Do you speak God’s words over your friends, about your friends, to your friends?
Words about Circumstances:
- Are the words you speak about your circumstances found in the Book? Are they true, encouraging and full of grace? Do your words speak life or death into your circumstances?
Words about Self:
- Are the words you speak about yourself found in the Book? Do your words about yourself agree with what God says about you? You are called chosen, loved, redeemed, gifted and needed. Listen to your self talk. Don’t let Satan get a word in edgewise.
The verse today shows a progression: word in, think, speak, and do.
- Choose a verse, and write it on a note card.
- Meditate on it. Ask yourself these questions. When should I do this? How shall I do this? Why should I do this?
- Speak God’s Word into your challenges and situations. Pray it aloud.
- Do what it says. Feed the poor. Forgive your enemies. Love the hurting. Pray about everything.
To help you organize your daily study and record your experiences, please download and print the following PDF, or download the journal app to your favorite Apple device.
Don’t forget to comment on your experience in the comment section below! Choose your verse/s for today and be a Doer of the Word. School is in session. Time to hit the book!
all rights reserved. copyright 2015
Previous Sessions of To Do-ers List, Back to School: