The Good News about the Bad News
Yup. We’ve got ourselves some bad news. Covid is surging again in Michigan. Racial tensions reach the breaking point in several large cities around the country. NYC has de-funded the police. The NYT reports Americans are being tracked by their smartphones. LA and San Diego school districts are online only for the fall semester. Everywhere we look it seems there is bad news. Is there any good news about the bad news?
Where is God in all of this bad news?
Right in the middle. Remember there is nothing new under the sun. Nations rise and fall and God has His plan and His people in place. A Daniel in Babylon. A Joseph in Egypt. An Esther in the palace. And God has placed you right where you need to be.
Acts 17:26 states “And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings.” Where and when you are is no accident.
Do some good!
God has placed you exactly in your city, on your street in your very house for such a time as 2020. Why? Because God has meaningful important work for you to do in this crazy chaos we call life. People need encouragement. Neighbors need to hear the truth. Unemployed friends might need a meal…and we all need some toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
God is in control.
God has promised to use all things for our good and His glory. Therefore everything is under His direct control. Remember, Proverbs 21 states “The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.” God is in control and that is great news!
The real Good News!
Because of all the negativity, people are more open to the real Good News. Pray and ask God to give you an opportunity to share the gospel. Since you are praying for an opportunity to share, be prepared to speak. Tell your friend/neighbor that:
- God is not surprised by 2020,
- God loves us,
- God also loves the world,
- He has a plan for our lives,
- Jesus died on the cross to take away all of our sin (every bit), and
- Jesus is waiting to be our Savior.
People are scared, tired and discouraged. Give them a real reason to hope.
So what else can you do?
- Be proactive. God tells us to pray about everything. Join a prayer group such as 5 Days to Fast and Pray for Our Nation and be a part of the healing!
- Be informed. Learn about the current events and cultural trends so you can speak with intelligence. Read all points of view on a given issue.
- Be kind. Listen to others and be respectful. Everyone has a right to their own point of view. We can disagree and still be civil.
- Be reasonable. Know when to walk away. Not every post or comment needs a response.
Leave a comment below and share some good news. We all could use it!
copy right 2020. all rights reserved.