Advent: How To Celebrate the Season
Advent is just around the corner (it starts on November 29), and what better way is there to get our minds off of ourselves (or Covid or politics or …) than by cozying in with God as we prepare for the arrival of Jesus as Messiah?
Journey with Us
We would like to invite you to journey with us through Advent. This has been a challenging year, and I think all of us could use some time to seek God and prepare our hearts for the holiday season. Mary and I will be leading a group of fellow adventurers on our Advent-urous: Seeking Jesus this Season Facebook group. Simply click on the link to check out the group and join. We’d love to have you.
We will be using our Advent-urous Kindle devotional book that is available on Amazon. (It happens to be free if you’re a member of Kindle Unlimited.) This is a light time requirement. We have one reading/theme per week (5 weeks total) with suggested activities to explore the theme as little or as much as you’d like over the next seven days.
Many of our activities are simple and don’t require lots of preparation or resources.
- For example, for the first Sunday, one of our activities is to try a new prayer posture.
- Another is to pray by candlelight.
- There are a few others that take a bit more preparation, but we tried to do a nice mix between the two.
- If you wish, you can then share your thoughts and activities on our Facebook group page as you journey through the week.
- For 2020, we’ve updated the book with a poem and a Christmas Eve Liturgy read aloud that you can add to your Christmas celebration with your family and friends if you’d like.
We hope to see you in our Advent-urous Facebook group. Just let us know in the comment section if you have any questions.
We wanted to share another resource with you. Several years ago, we recorded an Advent podcast. We hope it also helps prepare you for the season as we delve more deeply into the Christmas story.