Short & Sweet: 2 Ways to Grow Your Gifts
One of my constant prayer requests is for God to expand my gifts.
I continually ask Him to gift me greatly so He can use me deeply. Recently I discovered we have a responsibility in growing our gifts—it’s not all up to God. There are two things we can to do to help grow our gifts.
- Use them.
- Give them.
While both methods closely related, they have subtle differences. Using your gifts requires planning and training, while giving your gifts requires responsiveness and obedience.
Use your gifts.
What happened when the two servants used their gifts?
They were doubled. Wow! Who wouldn’t want to double gifts? I know I do. Imagine being twice as good teacher/speaker/writer/principal/secretary/designer/builder than you are now. We can grow our gifts by using them. Saving or burying our gifts and talents keeps us small, dark and cold. Only dead things are buried.
Use or lose.
What about the last servant? He lost what he would not give.
As modern Christians we neglect our gifts when we bury ourselves in fear, busyness, apathy and laziness. Don’t wait until you feel ready and don’t give up when the going gets tough. God wants us to push through negative emotions. The start of a new project is very exciting! But bumps in the road are bound to come and discouragement can set in. Set backs do not mean God’s calling has been revoked—quite the opposite is true. When passion and motivation dwindle, disregard the lassitude and continue working. Take a step of faith and get busy.
People need what you have to give.
Give and gain!
Feast or Famine.
- Keep gift for self. Small. Safe. Unfufilled. One person benefits.
- Give gift to others. Big. Scary. Amazing. Everyone is filled. Leftovers!
If we keep our gifts, others will go hungry.
Give your gifts large or small, no matter the size and watch them grow. Your gifts may be small, but you Savior is huge. Give what you have and watch your gifts grow! Use and give.
- Risk! Admit it. There is something you’ve been waiting to give, but you think it’s too small. Walk by faith and give it today.
- Look! See it. Ask God to make you hyper-aware of opportunities to give today. A kind word, $2.00, a single flower, a short note. They are not too small. Do it.
- Unbury! Face it. You have some buried gifts, dreams, skills that need exhuming. Take a step today to dig them up and use them for God’s glory.
Father, we give You our talents (Matt. 25), our widow’s mites (Luke 21), out last drop of oil (1 Kings 17), and our brown-bag lunch (John 6). Please help us to use what You have given us and give what you have entrusted to us so we me greatly impact our world for Christ.
all rights reserved