It seems we have lost our moral compass and the world is going to heck in a hand-basket. Each new day seems to bring a new disaster. Maybe we should all dig a shelter in the back yard and go hole up for the next decade or so. Crackers. Distilled water. Army issue blankets.
But that is not what God has called us to do. Jesus has told us we are the light of the world; a city of refuge on a hill. Christians are to engage, impact and transform the culture, not cut and run, happy that we have our fire insurance.
Not out, but in.
I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
Verse 15 is kind of rough. Jesus does not pray for God to take us out of the danger and turmoil; He prays for us to be sent in.
To bring hope. To bring help. To bring Truth. To bring the Gospel. We are the rescue squad. We are of the Word, not the world.
He has placed us here on purpose.
Now read the following verses.
From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. – Acts 17:26 (NIV)
The exact times and places. Think about that. You didn’t just happen to live where and when you live. God has placed you on this planet, in your town, in your workplace, in your family, in this time, with your specific skill set for such a time as this. God knew all your days before he fashioned you. When God laid the foundations of the earth, He CHOSE to strategically place you here and now, knowing exactly the conditions in which He created you to live, work and minister. He placed you here because you have work to do and you can make a difference.
“The restoration of America will not come through our next President– if it happens it will be through people like you.” John Stonestreet
“Christians in the West are living in a grand clarifying moment … In many ways we are in the Thursday evening of Holy Week. The cock has not yet crowed, but the angry crowd who would like to see the end of our Lord in the Western world has already seen and heard enough of our early betrayals to believe that it can count on more, and harry us toward ignominious surrender. So this is no time for cowards, for fence sitters or for those who wish to hedge their bets until they hear the judge’s verdict on the contest.” Os Guiness
When hard times hit, take encouragement from the Word of God.
From the pages of Scripture we learn God never sleeps. He is constantly at work behind the scenes, strategically placing His people for “such a time as this.” We may argue what can one believer amid such great opposition? We need only look back and read how God used Joseph, Daniel or Esther. God only needs ONE willing person to stand in the gap and change the destiny of a nation.
It’s up to you and me. There is no one else. We are the now generation. Will those who come after us find us faithful? Will we step up? Will we do our part? Will we hold our ground and stand in the gap for this generation?
5 things to do when the world has gone crazy.
- Speak. Speak up. Speak out. Speak truth. Speak love. We must speak the truth in love about every cultural issue or risk being forever silenced. Yes, we need to pray for wisdom and discernment to speak wisely and in God’s timing. Always pray before you open your mouth. And resolve to NOT speak in a vulgar manner as we see so much on social media. But, find a way to get involved. Click on the link to get involved: Citizens for Community Values
- Learn. We must become informed about what is happening in our cities, states and nation. We can no longer afford to sit back and let someone else do the right thing. We can no longer ignore what is happening around us. Click on the following link to get educated: Politics and Current Affairs
- Seek: Seek God with all your heart. The only way you can affect the culture for the kingdom of God is if you know His will. You will only learn the will of God from the word of God. Make a commitment to spend time with Jesus each day. Click on the link and start seeking: Seeking God
- Pray. Pray about everything. Pray for our government leaders. Pray for wisdom to know how to act and speak. Pray for God to make you willing to take a stand. Keep a prayer journal to help you remember what to pray for and to record answers and thoughts/impressions from God. Don’t wait to get involved until you feel ready. Act today. Please click on the link the join our latest prayer group: 5 Days to Fast and Pray. Finally …
- Live. I believe God spoke to me in my sleep the other night. He showed me there is nothing Satan would love more than to shut down the influence of God’s people by scaring them into hiding. Do something beautiful and leave a legacy of hope amid the chaos. Overcome evil with good. Use your gifts. Read your Bible. Continue to minister. Worship God and thank Him for all the good things He’s given you and your family. Help the hurting. Live your life the way God is calling you to live.
By Mary Kane and Jane Vanosdol
All rights reserved.